Spode Museum Trust Heritage Centre


The Spode Museum Trust Heritage Centre opened in 2012 in one of the  period buildings on the Spode site in Stoke.  It was doubled in size in 2016 and is scheduled to expand further in 2017, with improved visitor facilities, new displays and activities and an enlarged museum shop.  In spite of its increased size the Centre is still run by Volunteers and depends heavily on donations to operate.

 

Above is an image of the Heritage Centre

As one of the most important factories from the Industrial Revolution, the Heritage Centre tells the story of Spode and its importance to Stoke over the 230 years of its operation, with displays of its history, working conditions and people and of its products from the 1770s up to the time it closed in 2008, when Spode was still producing world class hand-painted ceramic wares (some badged as Royal Worcester).   Activities at the Centre include demonstrations by highly skilled former Spode employees of china painting and printing on antique machinery from original copperplates.

Since the closure of the Spode factory, the Trust's collection has been in storage.  The Heritage Centre has been created so that people can access the collection and so that the Trust can find out more about the experiences of former workers at Spode and collect their reminiscences and photographs to add to the permanent archive.   The Trust wishes to support, contribute to and generate interest in current and future projects such as other arts and cultural projects on the former Spode factory site; build support for the development of a permanent heritage centre and contribute to the wider regeneration of the factory site and Stoke.

The Heritage Centre has many wonderful displays to inform and delight everyone from the seasoned collector or historian to the absolute beginner.

Blue Willow Tea Room

After shopping why not sit down and relax in the Blue Willow Tea Room

  
 
This beautiful pottery model was made in 1834 and shows the lay-out
of the factory as it was in 1833. It can be viewed at the Heritage Centre